You know when you have a craving for something sweet, but no time to bake a whole cake? Or maybe, when you just can't be bothered baking? Enter: this easy, delicious recipe for microwave pineapple upside-cake.
Yep, microwave baking.
This recipe from on Mom On Timeout only takes 8 minutes, and looked too good to be true—or at least, too good to taste like a real cake.
So we tried it in the Spring.St office. And it's great.
And between the caramelized brown sugar, pineapple rings, and moist yellow cake, it's also a crowdpleaser.
Here's what you need:
- 4 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 20 oz can pineapple slices, drained, juice reserved
- 7-8 maraschino cherries
- 1½ cups yellow cake mix (half of a 15.25 oz box)
- ½ cup pineapple juice (from a can of pineapple slices)
- 1 egg
Here's how you make it:
- Place butter inside the cake dish and microwave until the butter melts (ours took 30 seconds).
- Stir in the brown sugar, and spread it across the bottom of the dish.
- Put pineapple slices in cake dish and add a cherry in the middle of each slice.
- Mix cake mix (there's a reason this is so easy), pineapple juice and egg in a medium bowl, and stir just until combined.
- Pour the mix over the pineapple slices.
- Place the cake pan in the microwave and heat on high for around 8 minutes.
- Let the final cool for 3-4 minutes.
Then just try not to burn your mouth.